Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Death of the Airline meal

I made the 16 hour journey home in one piece as did Victoria. It was very long and went from being unbearably hot (at least while clothed in long sleeved sweaters and jeans) to being unbearably cold. I can only hope the plane that we were travelling on from Barbados to Toronto was in better shape mechanically than the interior looked. I noted the following things when entering the aircraft
-The bathroom at the front of the plane had a large OUT OF SERVICE sign on the door.....not the best way to start a six hour flight.
-The overhead bin ABOVE my seat did not latch and therefore could not be used.
-The seat in front of my daughter appeared to have duct tape on it. Upon closer inspection it was in fact duct tape (or some reasonable equivalent) holding the seat pocket to the chair. Oh good!!! The plane is held together with duct tape we must be safe!!!
-My tray did not fasten properly and as a result kept coming unfastened smacking me on the knee at the most inconvenient times.
-The same tray did not stay all the way down either...the springy thing was gone so my coffee had a nice lean to it while in the cup.
-Shortly after take off the flight attendant comes on with a passenger announcement that for us poor saps in coach the entertainment screens (the ones that show the news and movie) was not working and they hoped we enjoyed the flight anyway. Great now I have to occupy myself and a 5 year old for 6 hours with no movie.....we are off to a great start.
-The seats Victoria and I had did NOT have working audio entertainment either. Thank the heavens above I had a portable DVD player and a wide selection of childrens dvds.
-There was NO duty free available for purchase on the flight. That one didn't affect me but there were some pretty upset people so I thought it worth mentioning.
-Victoria never like airline food so I always made her a meal to take with us that she could eat on the plane and this year it was a good thing. The air line meal is dead. Gone are the days of an unidentifiable mush being placed in front of you. Now you have to pay $5 for something that you normally wouldn't feed to your worst enemy. The best part is the few selections that looked ok weren't stocked well and were gone by the time they got to us....and yes I was desperate enough to pay 2 bucks for a tiny can of Pringles that Victoria ate 90% of despite having already had the meal I made for her.
-Once in Toronto we get searched at customs....annoying as they have no problem taking things out of the suitcase but they don't put things back in.
-We barely made our connection. Any attempts at summoning assistance didn't work and in fact we ended up helping some poor gentleman in a wheelchair as he was left to fend for himself as well.
I am cold...I am tired and I have WAY too much housework....Welcome home eh?

No comments: