Tuesday, January 24, 2012

READ THE SIGN!!!!!!!!!


It feels like I go over this daily...in fact I am sure I do. Last night we had a sign put up. I have been asked 4 times in 12 hours if he can go on his back. The answer for now is still no.

Yesterday was a strange day. Things seemed to happen quickly, yet at the same time it was like nothing was happening at all. The CT and bronchoscopy are hopefully being done today. Ben took his last feed via his NG tube and the kangaroo pump around 7:30am. He will need to be put under by the anesthetist and have a breathing tube placed.

The tricky part for the staff is that Ben has to be on his tummy and the tests and surgery need to be done on his back. This is why he needs to be put to sleep and have the breathing tube placed. Even the CT will have to be done in the OR. This complicates things further as so many staff need to be present for this to take place. At the moment Radiology, Pediatrics, ENT, Plastics, Respiratory, and anaesthesiology are all trying to coordinate their schedules with an available OR to get the test and procedure done. As of right now we hope he will be going later this afternoon, but we may have to resume the feeds and try for the tests tomorrow.

On a side note Ashley and I started our education/training with Ben's NG tube last evening. We were given a home tube feed package with information and ordering numbers. This morning I, along with his nurse, did a double check for placement. Then hooked up the pump, issued the feed, gave Ben his medications via the NG, flushed the line and taped the tube back so he won't pull it out. I felt very awkward doing it, but considering it was only my first time doing it solo and only the second time total, it didn't go that badly. I am sure by the time of discharge I will be able to do it in my sleep.