Saturday, January 21, 2012

NG tube....Number Two....

Ben decided he no longer wanted nor needed his NG tube. While the nurse was doing his vitals his little hand yanked the NG tube out in one movement.

One nurse (who was covering for our nurse) thought it was okay for me to put another NG tube in....despite not ever being shown how, or the fact he can't tolerate being on his back AND it took a doctor and a nurse to get it in yesterday. Needless to say I told her that until he could be on his back longer than 4 or 5 seconds without his sats dropping I was NOT comfortable doing it and would not do it. I also told her I needed to be shown properly how to measure the tube, place the tube, hold Ben and so on and so forth.

In the end the ENT doctor on call, and Anaesthetist and our normal nurse came. It took all three of them to get the new (longer) NG tube in.

I think the plan is to do total NG feeds until the weight comes up a bit. I am alright with this. He needs his strength and to gain some weight so we can get his airway sorted out.

This can and probably will change again. Only time will tell

No comments: