Thursday, October 16, 2008

You Say Beach Resort....I say motel

Roach Motel










I don't even know where to start with this one. The weekend may have been perfect but the "hotel" left something to be desired that's for sure. First off the place we stayed at marketed itself as a beach resort. This in and of its self sets a certain standard. Note the green building in the picture below....THIS was the building we were in. Tell me this is a resort!!!! It is a freaking motel!












I have no problem with motels, let me start by saying that. HOWEVER do NOT market your establishment as a beach resort and provide a motel. Nor do I appreciate being charged as if I was staying at a beach resort and ending up in a cheap motel room at best. I wish the list of complaints stopped there but sadly they do not. In addition to the whole motel thing the follow added to the "charm" of the place;







  • Upon checking in we were given a map and told to drive back down the road half a Km to the "unit" we would be staying at. We were also given two mystery keys with a sticker which had the room number on it. This should have been my first clue something was up.


  • Upon getting to the room we note that neither of the keys was needed as the door did not latch. Oh good this makes me feel safe!!


  • The room had an overpowering stench of mildew, more than likely coming from the dank dark carpet. I swear the stuff was from 1962 and NEVER cleaned. Oh yes it was that apparent.


  • The bathroom door did not lock...and you had to slam it to get it to stay shut.


  • The sink was leaking


  • The floor by the tub was rotten. I thought I was going to fall through it at one point.


  • The knob on the shower was broken and was spraying water EVERYWHERE!


  • There was NO hot water what so ever.


  • You could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the next room. (Yes I am surprised there were other people staying there too)


  • It was freezing because one of the windows was broken and not replaced or even covered.


  • While we had a coffee maker and free coffee, I was almost sick when I saw dried lipstick (not mine) on the coffee cups provided...icky!!!! It was an instant GAG moment!

  • Around 3 am the last night there I met another "guest" on my way to the bathroom....a RAT!!!

Now not all the rooms were that bad. Peter and Bev's room was quite nice. The food was good too. I will go back to that part of Cape Breton, I will eat at the restaurant however I WILL be staying somewhere else

2 comments:

Michael McKay said...

EWWWWWWWW...remind me never to stay there!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm actually pretty surprised to read this. I guess this is the thanks I get for trying to make a trip to CB easy on people. I suppose your first indication of what kind of room it would be is the fact that it only cost $90. You were free to stay in any of the rooms at the 'resort' but in my family and friends favour, I chose the cheapest to reserve for them. And in defence of the Beach Resort, the rooms in that part of the resort may have been old and stuffy, but they were far from dirty. And the staff would have been more than accomodating, if you had wanted to switch rooms. This is the only complaint so far that I have heard about these rooms, as most people just used them as a place to sleep.