Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hoare's Law of Large Problems: Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out

Today was "one of those days" and it's only suppertime. Apparently it was Murphy Law Tuesday and no one sent me the memo. There were more "little situations" today than there should be in an entire year. They say bad things come in three and well for my sake I hope that's true. When I got home I find the pellet stove needs filling, there are no pellets left upstairs where said pellet stove is and there are messages on the phone. Okay now here is where the proverbial snowball started rolling down the hill with largely gaining momentum. I grab the closest bag of pellets and proceed to carry it to the stove. Now having said that it may be worth while to note that in my basement are approximately 3 tonnes of pellets in bags of 40 pounds a piece. Only 5 bags out of all of them had small holes in them and required extra care in carrying them. I of course, being tired, cranky and in a hurry grab the first bag that I came to. Yeah that was a BAD idea. With only a half dozen steps left the bag rips spilling pellets EVERYWHERE. I was able to get them back into the bag with minimal frustration. Okay lets just carry on where we left off and pretend it didn't happen....yeah right then when I go to pour some of the pellets into a hopper to make filling the stove easier. Again a good idea in theory. The bag finishes ripping and the pellets once again are ALL over the floor. So here I am once again on the floor picking up pellets off the white carpet, still in scrubs, freezing and just wanting 5 minutes to myself before Victoria gets home off the bus. The final installment in filling the stove saga was when the hopper handle slipped from my hand causing pellets to fill the hooper WAY to quickly (yup you guessed it!!) sending said pellets on my floor again AHHHH!!!!!So the stove is filled, the floor cleaned up and I have mildly calmed down. I still have time before the bus gets here so I check the messages and I assure you things did not get better. The first was a message from my ex wanting me to call him back to clarify something....oh good I think can it get any worse?! By thinking that I of course jinx myself. I get the last message and it is from Student Loan. That should send chills through anyone who has had the displeasure of dealing with these highly trained, fluent English speaking, customer service agents. I am of course being sarcastic in case you can't sense the sarcasm ooozing off that sentence. I call the "student loan" entity. Apparently the idiots decided I made too much money (hahaha yeah right) and for my last semester was given an over award. They wanted this over award repaid immediately. So to recap the money they gave me a YEAR ago for my last semester of University they want back NOW. When I say now I mean like within 48 hours kind of now. I needless to say flipped. I called banks, the university and my family and friends to try and figure something out. To be honest I was holding things together quite well. I set up meetings at different banks, made arrangements that satisfied the money hungry idiots and talked out some of my frustration and thought I was doing well until I called my daddy. He and my mom are down south for over a month. I called him and as soon as he said hello I lost it. I cried my heart and soul out and surprisingly I felt a lot better.By the time that all of this was done I made it to meet my baby girl and her hug helped most of all.
I am now much calmer and back in control only to find out that I am late for ballet for Victoria and I.

The Bruins play tonight and I will be snuggled up in my Bruins blanked and enjoy the game and I will feel better.

I will post more here later tonight.

Off to ballet......

No comments: