Thursday, December 6, 2012

Can you hear me now???

Today we were back at the IWK. I honestly can't handle it in there this time of year. It was cold, a few flurries in the air and the place was decorated for Christmas. It brought back a million memories from this time last year, that I have yet to deal with.

We were an add on for Dr. Hong in the ENT clinic. Ben's eardrum had gone again and was seeping nasty smelling/looking fluid. The ear drops he  has been on haven't been doing much if anything and I was concerned.

Dr. Hong was happy to see us. Ben's eardrum was indeed still open and badly infected. It needed to be cleaned and suctioned out and have the drops put in. The new plan of action seems to be back where we were and have tubes placed to be on the safe side. This will be done when we are in for the palate repair. Between now and then it will mean (at the least) weekly visits to clean and monitor his ear.

Surgery has been scheduled and will be sometime in late January or early February, with the preop before that. While this is good news that Christmas won't be an issue, the fact I will be here alone becomes a bit of one for me.

Once Ben had his ear suctioned, he was angry but far more comfortable. He even had a smile for Dr. Hong when he asked him "Can you hear me now?"

Lets hope the surgery papers are in the post soon so I can start making plans!

No comments: